|JOB SUMMARY |
The Senior Pharmacist is responsible for supervising the activities of Pharmacy staff. Provides prescribed medications, drugs and other pharmaceuticals as needed for adequate patient care according to professional standards and practices. Ensures that patient’s pharmaceutical needs are effectively met in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations and Pharmacy Policy & Guidelines.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES ( OR, MRD & Clinical - Hands On Training )|
|1. Directs and supervises the activities and performance of Pharmacists and other Pharmacy staff.|
2. Controls and reports, life validity of all medical supplies and drugs with particular attention to expiry dates and their relation to quantity ordered and financial surveys if excess quantities are obtained, to the Pharmacy Manager
3. Oversees and develops the provision of an efficient pharmaceutical service within the hospital ensuring that work is undertaken in accordance with good pharmacy practice and government regulations.
4. Resolves major problems arising on spot, if feasible, and reports it immediately to the Pharmacy Manager
5. Dispenses prescriptions in accordance with the written directions of attending physicians.
6. Checks prescriptions to ensure that there are no errors and they are appropriate and safe to the individual patient
7. Provides advice on the dosage of medicines and the most appropriate form of medication
8. Liaises with other medical staff on problems patients may experience when taking their medicines
9. Advises patients and family on use of various medical equipment and medications including dosage, composition, proper medication storage, side effects and drug interactions
10. Prepares medication requests submitted from all Hospital units, wards and clinics in regard of names and quantities.
11. Provides information and other health related inquiries of all health care providers within the Hospital and other general public.
12. Ensures that medicines are stored appropriately; under proper storing conditions and FIFO (first in-first out) arrangement - Narcotics and other controlled substances on regular basis within pharmacy areas and other Hospital Wards & Units
13. Completes documentation required for the Ministry of Health registration books
14. Reports any details related to the proper, efficient and ethical operation of the Pharmacy Department to the Pharmacy Manager
15. Notifies the Pharmacy Manager when medication stock levels are low; and places orders with pharmaceutical agencies upon the approved pharmacy purchase request given by the Pharmacy Manager.
16. Follows established departmental policies & procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards
17. Participates in the training and orientation of newly joined pharmacy staff as well as acts as a mentor for cross sector pre-registration pharmacists and university placement as necessary.
18. Carries out other related duties such as preparing relevant reports and data. Participates in meetings as required
19. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops.
20. Actively participates in the organization’s activities designed to attain accreditation by the Joint Commission International (JCI) and other appropriate accreditation agencies
21. Performs all other additional assignments as requested by the Pharmacy Manager and/or Director of Admin & Support Services.
|Experience : || Not less than 10 years’ experience |