| JOB SUMMARY |
The Consultant - Dermatology plans, directs, coordinates, administers and supervises patient care activities and implements decisions of the Departmental Council in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules & Regulations and Dermatology department Policies & Guidelines. His/ Her focus includes ongoing audit and supervision of clinicians providing triage, patient assessment, treatment, integration with pathology and managing respective secondary care referrals in line with best practice.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Undertakes work in accordance with the Hospital’s procedures and operating policies; works within agreed quality frameworks.
- Conducts complete skin examinations and delivers treatment for skin diseases, Pediatric dermatologic problems and Venereal diseases.
- Prescribes hormonal agents or topical treatments such as spironolactone, antiandrogens, oral corticosteroids, retinoids, benzoyl peroxide, and antibiotics.
- Provides dermabrasion or laser abrasion to treat atrophic scars, elevated scars, or other skin conditions.
- Provides therapies such as intralesional steroids and chemical peels to treat age spots, sun damage, rough skin, discolored skin, or oily skin.
- Participates and provides leadership for organizational performance improvement activities.
- Recommends diagnostic tests based on patients' history and physical examination findings.
- Participates in assessment, implementation and evaluation of patient care needs.
- Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care, customer service, and ethical behavior.
- Monitors patients' conditions and progress and reevaluate treatments as necessary
- Guides patients on topics such as the need for annual dermatologic screenings, sun protection, skin cancer awareness etc.
- Undertakes all work in accordance with the procedures and operating policies, including Infection Control, Health and Safety, Risk Management etc.
Compliance with Medical Ethics
- Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of Dermatology.
- Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically.
- Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other Physicians while caring for the patient.
- Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by Continuing Medical Education (CME).
- Keeps up to date in developments relevant to best practice in Dermatology.
- Undertakes training and provides supervision in relation to identified training needs of staff within the service; subject to audit outcomes, identified continuing professional development and training needs.
- Participates in the provision of orientation, in-service and continuing education programs, along with other Consultants of the Department
- Helps in professional development of all staff and provides teaching materials as part of the professional development of the staff.
- Attends accredited conferences and meetings to update personal level of clinical practice, teaching and management skills in line with Continuing Medical Education (CME) requirements.
- Participates in the process of developing annual budgets for the Department.
- Attends regularly scheduled meeting for the improvement of patient care services and delivery
- Accepts all other additional assignments found necessary by the Clinical Director- Dermatology.
| KEY CONTACTS |
- Visiting & NMH Doctors/Physicians
- Heads of Departments
- Nursing/Reception Staff
|EXTERNAL: || |
- Patients and their Relatives & Friends
- Business Representatives / Professional Agencies
- General Public
| JOB REQUIREMENTS || |
|Education :||Bachelors’ Degree in Medicine with specialized training in Dermatology. Membership/ Fellowship (preferably of the Royal College), PhD or MD Degree in relevant specialty Basic Life Support Certification is desirable |
Licensing:Valid License from Ministry Of Health- Kuwait to practice as Dermatology Consultant
|Experience :||Preferably 12 years’ experience with minimum 7 years’ experience post Fellowship/Membership , PhD or MD in Dermatology |
|OTHER SKILLS: |
Administrative Skills:Cognitive, Prioritization, Problem Solving, Decision Making and Teaching skills; Team Player
Soft Skills:Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills
Computer Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Internet and Hospital MIS
Language Skills:Good in written and spoken English
| PHYSICAL & WORKING CONDITIONS|
Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility, while also exposed to infections and close contact with the patients. Occasionally involves prolonged standing/walking, lifting supplies/equipment.