|JOB SUMMARY |
The Head Nurse- ER consults with the Area Supervisor concerning administrative, professional and clinical issues, and assumes operational responsibility of the Emergency Room. Directs and supervises activities, interprets & implements policies, procedures and standards as per the ACI & JCIA recommendations and Ministry of Health regulations as appropriate.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Directs and supervises Nursing services personnel within the Emergency Room in accordance with the Hospital, governmental bodies (MOH) and other regulatory standards.
- Prepares work schedules and assigns personnel.
- Conducts daily inspection of assigned patient care areas for compliance with policies, procedures, regulations, infection control and risk management standards, and takes corrective actions/ makes recommendations where violations occur in order to remedy the situation.
- Evaluates work performance and makes recommendations.
- Directs maintenance of departmental facilities, equipment, supplies and materials to promote efficiency, health, comfort, and safety of patients and staff.
- Ensures adequate supply of consumable and non-consumable items for patient care requirements through a systematic inventory and ordering process.
- Establish and maintain inventories of equipments and other supplies and ensures that par levels are maintained.
- Maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients and families in accordance with Hospital standards.
- Ensures accurate maintenance of patients’ medical records and confidentiality of information contained therein.
- Prepares written documentation as required by the Nursing department, and maintains appropriate records and statistics as directed.
- Formulates departmental monthly report as directed by the Department.
- Assists in the preparation of the fiscal budget and makes appropriate recommendation.
- Contributes in the implementation of total Quality Management programmes, aimed at best practice methods within a climate of customer focus.
- Consults with Nursing Administration concerning management of assigned areas and all related matters.
- Participates in the development and implementation of departmental goals & objectives, philosophy and mission statement.
- Provides staff development and education programmes in consultation with Area Nursing Supervisor & Clinical instructor
- Assists in the process of selection, orientation and training, and initiates performance evaluation of emergency department personnel.
- Plans and conducts regular unit meetings and maintain minutes of meetings.
- Attends Nursing Management meetings and other meetings as required, and participates on committees as requested.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Nursing Supervisor.