|JOB SUMMARY |
The Consultant – Ophthalmology plans, directs, coordinates, administers and supervises patient care activities for Ophthalmology patients in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules & Regulations and Department Policy & Guidelines. Reports on matters relating to patient care to the Medical Director through the Clinical Director.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Provides inpatient and outpatient consultations to Ophthalmology patients
- Receives referrals and consultations from other disciplines.
- Examines patient for symptoms indicative of organic or congenital ocular disorders, and determines nature and extent of injury or disorder
- Utilizes clinical privileges granted to him/her for admission, performing procedures and treatment of Ophthalmology patients
- Directs remedial activities to aid in regaining vision, or to utilize sight remaining by writing prescriptions for corrective glasses and instructing patient in eye exercises.
- Performs various tests to determine vision loss
- Reviews records, plans treatment options, prescribes and administers medications
- Books surgery rooms and notifies support staff of procedure timings to ensure that all required personnel are prepared for the procedure
- Shares the on-call schedule in the Department as required and ensures continuity of care for patients while on-call
- Manages record keeping, patient charts and all required surgical and Hospital records as needed
- Considers the patient’s safety as the first priority while working.
- Includes the patients in discussions concerning appropriate diagnostic and management procedures.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care needs.
- Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care and ethical behavior
- Participates regularly with other Ophthalmology and Surgery staff, in decision-making related to patient care
Compliance with Medical Ethics
- Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of Ophthalmology.
- Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically and stays consistent with the obligations of a physician.
- Respects the opinions of fellow Consultants and referring Physicians in the management of patient problems; provides means whereby differences in opinion can be discussed and resolved
- Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other Physicians while caring for the patient.
- Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by continuing medical education.
- Provides leadership for organizational performance improvement activities
- Supports in professional development of all staff and provides teaching materials
- Plans for the provision of orientation, in service and continuing education programs, along with other Consultants of the Department
- Attends regularly scheduled meeting for the improvement of patient care services and delivery
- Performs all other additional assignments as requested by the Clinical Director.