|JOB SUMMARY |
The Consultant – Gasroenterology plans, directs, administers and supervises patient care activities for Gastroenterology patients in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations and Medicine Department Policy and Guidelines. Reports on matters relating to patient care division to the Medical Director through the Clinical Director.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Provides Inpatient and Outpatient consultations to patients with a wide range of digestive and related disorders
- Works closely with other Internal Medicine physicians, receives referrals and consultations for gastronomical problems, reviews records and plans treatment options
- Orders and interpret tests, analyzes records, reports and examination information to diagnose patients' condition
- Utilizes privileges for admission and treatment of patients
- Performs examination and procedures such as Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, etc. according to the clinical privileges granted to him/her
- Prescribes/ administers treatment, therapy, medication and other specialized medical care to treat diseases or conditions
- Monitors patients' conditions and progress and reevaluate treatments as necessary
- Manages record keeping, patient charts and all required patient and Hospital records as needed
- Considers the patient’s safety as the first priority while working.
- Includes the patients in discussions concerning appropriate diagnostic and management procedures.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care needs.
- Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care and ethical behavior.
- Participates regularly with other department staff, in decision-making related to patient care Compliance with Medical Ethics
- Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of Gastroenterology.
- Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically and stays consistent with the obligations of a physician.
- Respects the opinions of fellow Consultants and referring Physicians in the management of patient problems; provides means whereby differences in opinion can be discussed and resolved.
- Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other Physicians while caring for the patient.
- Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by continuing medical education.
- Provides leadership and participates in organizational performance improvement activities
- Provides teaching materials as part of the professional development of the Department staff.
- Plans for the provision of orientation, in service and continuing education programs, along with other consultants of the department
- Attends regularly scheduled meeting for the improvement of patient care services and delivery
- Accepts all other additional assignments found necessary by the Clinical Director- Internal Medicine
| KEY CONTACTS |
| INTERNAL:||1. Visiting & NMH Doctors/Physicians|
2. Heads of Departments
3. Nursing/Reception Staff
|EXTERNAL:||1. Patients and their Relatives & Friends|
2. Business Representatives / Professional Agencies
3. General Public
| JOB REQUIREMENTS |
|Education :||Bachelors’ Degree in Medicine followed by specialized training in Gastroenterology. Membership/ Fellowship (preferably of the Royal College) and/or MD Degree in relevant specialty.|
|Licensing :||Valid License from Ministry of Health-Kuwait to practice as a Gastroenterology Consultant|
|Experience :||12 years’ experience with minimum 7 years’ experience post Fellowship/Membership or MD in Gastroenterology.|
|Management Skills: |
Problem Solving, Decision Making , Counselling and Critical Thinking skills; Attention to detail and a Team Player.
|Soft Skills :|
Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills.
|Computer Skills :||MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Internet|
|Language Skills:||Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is preferred.|
| || |
| WORKING CONDITIONS |
|Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility, while also exposed to infections and close contact with the patients. Subject to unpredictable or crisis situations May have to work long hours, in shifts and be available on call to deal with medical emergencies. Occasionally involves prolonged standing/walking, lifting supplies/equipment. |