|JOB SUMMARY |
The Pharmacist- Pharmacy provides prescribed medications, drugs and other pharmaceuticals as needed for adequate patient care according to professional standards and practices. Ensures that patient’s pharmaceutical needs are effectively met in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations and Pharmacy Policy & Guidelines.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Dispenses prescriptions in accordance with the written directions of attending physicians.
- Checks prescriptions to ensure that there are no errors and are appropriate and safe for the respective patient.
- Provides advice on the dosage of medicines and the most appropriate form of medication.
- Liaises with other medical staff on problems patients may experience when taking medicines.
- Advises patients and family on use of various medical equipment and medications including dosage, composition, proper medication storage, side effects and drug interactions.
- Prepares medication requests submitted from all Hospital units, wards and clinics in regard to Name of Medicine and Quantities required.
- Provides information regarding health related inquiries to all health care providers within the Hospital and to general public.
- Ensures that medicines are stored appropriately; under proper storing conditions and FIFO (first in-first out) arrangement - Narcotics and other controlled substances on regular basis within pharmacy areas and other Hospital Wards & Units.
- Completes the documentation required for the Ministry of Health registration books.
- Reports any details related to the proper, efficient and ethical operation of the Pharmacy Department to the Pharmacy Manager.
- Notifies the Pharmacy Manager when medication stock levels are low; places orders with pharmaceutical agencies upon the approved pharmacy purchase request given by the Pharmacy Manager.
- Follows established departmental policies & procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Participates in the training and orientation of newly joined pharmacist staff as well as acting as a mentor for cross sector pre-registration pharmacists and university placement as necessary.
- Participates in meetings as required.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops.
- Actively participates in the organization’s activities designed to attain accreditation by the Joint Commission International (JCI) and other appropriate accreditation agencies.
- Performs all other additional assignments as requested by the Pharmacy Manager and/or Director of Admin & Support Services.
| KEY CONTACTS |
- Heads of Departments
- Visiting & NMH Doctors/Physicians
- Nursing/Reception Staff
|EXTERNAL: || |
- Patients and their Relatives & Friends
- Business Representatives / Professional Agencies
- General Public
| JOB REQUIREMENTS |
|Education :||Bachelors’ Degree in Pharmacy |
Licensing:Valid License from Ministry of Health to practice as a Pharmacist
|Experience :|| 3 years’ experience as a Pharmacist |
|OTHER SKILLS: |
Technical: Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of professional pharmacy work. Knowledge of hospital rules, regulations, and practices towards compounding and dispensing of drugs and prescriptions. Ability to compound a wide variety of drugs and pharmaceutical supplies
Administrative Skills: Detail Oriented; Analytical, Decision Making, Problem Solving and good Customer Relations skills.
Soft Skills:Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills
Computer Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Internet
Language Skills: Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is an advantage
| PHYSICAL & WORKING CONDITIONS|
Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility, while also exposed to infections and close contact with the patients. May have to work long hours and be available on call to deal with medical exigencies. Occasionally involves prolonged standing/walking, lifting supplies/equipments.