|JOB SUMMARY |
The Consultant – Internal Medicine plans, directs, administers and supervises patient care activities for Internal Medicine patients; diagnoses and provides non-surgical treatment of diseases and injuries of internal organ system. Ensures implementation of Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules & Regulations and Internal Medicine Department Policy & Guidelines.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Diagnoses and treats patients referred to the Department; treats and manages diseases/ conditions that affect the heart, lungs, kidneys, liver,urinary track, brain, spinal cord and other organs comprising the human biological system.
- Creates treatment plans that incorporate therapy, medication or nutritional changes to manage patient illnesses and injuries
- Orders and interpret tests, analyzes records, reports, and examination information to diagnose patients' condition
- Performs examination and procedures according to the clinical privileges granted to him/her
- Prescribes or administers treatment, therapy, medication and other specialized medical care to treat diseases or conditions
- Monitors patients' conditions/ progress and reevaluate treatments as necessary or refers them to specialists based on the assessment.
- Reviews staff and conducts audits to ensure medical efficiency at Hospital.
- Manages record keeping, patient charts and all required patient and Hospital records as needed
- Considers the patient’s safety as the first priority while working.
- Includes the patients in discussions concerning appropriate diagnostic and management procedures.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care needs.
- Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care and ethical behavior.
- Participates regularly with other department staff, in decision-making related to patient care
Compliance with Medical Ethics
- Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of Internal medicine.
- Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically and stays consistent with the obligations of a physician.
- Respects the opinions of fellow Consultants and referring Physicians in the management of patient problems; provides means whereby differences in opinion can be discussed and resolved.
- Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other Physicians while caring for the patient.
- Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by continuing medical education.
- Provides leadership and participates in organizational performance improvement activities
- Provides teaching materials as part of the professional development of the Department staff.
- Plans for the provision of orientation, in service and continuing education programs, along with other consultants of the Department
- Attends regularly scheduled meeting for the improvement of patient care services and delivery
- Accepts all other additional assignments found necessary by the Clinical Director- Internal Medicine
| KEY CONTACTS |
- Visiting & NMH Doctors/Physicians
- Heads of Departments
- Nursing/Reception Staff
|EXTERNAL: || |
- Patients and their Relatives & Friends
- Business Representatives / Professional Agencies
- General Public
| JOB REQUIREMENTS |
|Education :||:Bachelors’ Degree in Medicine followed by specialized training in Internal Medicine. Membership/ Fellowship (preferably of the Royal College) and/or MD Degree in Internal Medicine with relevant training in General Medicine/ in a Subspecialty.Trained in Basic Life Support (BLS) preferred.|
Licensing: Valid License from Ministry of Health-Kuwait to practice as a Ophthalmology Consultant
|Experience :||12 years’ experience with minimum 7 years’ experience post Fellowship/Membership or MD in Internal Medicine |
|OTHER SKILLS: |
Management Skills: Problem Solving, Decision Making , Counselling and Critical Thinking skills; Attention to detail and a Team Player
Soft Skills:Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills
Computer Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Internet
Language Skills: Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is an advantage
| PHYSICAL & WORKING CONDITIONS|
Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility, while also exposed to infections and close contact with the patients. May have to work long hours and be available on call to deal with medical exigencies. Occasionally involves prolonged standing/walking, lifting supplies/equipments.