|JOB SUMMARY |
The Consultant – Ophthalmology plans, directs, coordinates, administers and supervises patient care activities for Ophthalmology patients in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules & Regulations and Department Policy & Guidelines. Reports on matters relating to patient care to the Medical Director through the Clinical Director.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Provides inpatient and outpatient consultations to Ophthalmology patients
- Receives referrals and consultations from other disciplines.
- Examines patient for symptoms indicative of organic or congenital ocular disorders, and determines nature and extent of injury or disorder
- Utilizes clinical privileges granted to him/her for admission, performing procedures and treatment of Ophthalmology patients.
- Directs remedial activities to aid in regaining vision, or to utilize sight remaining by writing prescriptions for corrective glasses and instructing patient in eye exercises
- Performs various tests to determine vision loss
- Reviews records, plans treatment options, prescribes and administers medications
- Books surgery rooms and notifies support staff of procedure timings to ensure that all required personnel are prepared for the procedure
- Shares the on-call schedule in the Department as required and ensures continuity of care for patients while on-call
- Manages record keeping, patient charts and all required surgical and Hospital records as needed
- Considers the patient’s safety as the first priority while working.
- Includes the patients in discussions concerning appropriate diagnostic and management procedures.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care needs.
- Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care and ethical behavior.
- Participates regularly with other Ophthalmology and Surgery staff, in decision-making related to patient care
Compliance with Medical Ethics
- Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of Ophthalmology.
- Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically and stays consistent with the obligations of a physician.
- Respects the opinions of fellow Consultants and referring Physicians in the management of patient problems; provides means whereby differences in opinion can be discussed and resolved.
- Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other Physicians while caring for the patient.
- Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by continuing medical education.
- Provides leadership for organizational performance improvement activities
- Supports in professional development of all staff and provides teaching materials
- Plans for the provision of orientation, in service and continuing education programs, along with other Consultants of the Department
- Attends regularly scheduled meeting for the improvement of patient care services and delivery
- Performs all other additional assignments as requested by the Clinical Director
| KEY CONTACTS |
- Visiting & NMH Doctors/Physicians
- Heads of Departments
- Nursing/Reception Staff
|EXTERNAL: || |
- Patients and their Relatives & Friends
- Business Representatives / Professional Agencies
- General Public
| JOB REQUIREMENTS |
|Education :||:Bachelors’ Degree in Medicine followed by specialized training in Ophthalmology. Membership/ Fellowship (preferably of the Royal College) and/or Ph.D. /MD Degree in relevant specialty. |
Licensing: Valid License from Ministry of Health-Kuwait to practice as a Ophthalmology Consultant
|Experience :||12 years’ experience with minimum 7 years’ experience post Fellowship/Membership or MD in Ophthalmology (Glaucoma or Medical Retina or Pediatric Ophthalmology, or Cornea & Refractive Surgery). |
|OTHER SKILLS: |
Management Skills: Problem Solving, Decision Making , Counselling and Critical Thinking skills; Attention to detail and a Team Player
Soft Skills:Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills
Computer Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Internet
Language Skills: Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is an advantage
| PHYSICAL & WORKING CONDITIONS|
Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility, while also exposed to infections and close contact with the patients. May have to work long hours and be available on call to deal with medical exigencies. Occasionally involves prolonged standing/walking, lifting supplies/equipments.