|JOB SUMMARY |
The Consultant – General Surgery plans, directs, coordinates, administers and supervises patient care activities for surgery patients in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules & Regulations and Department Policy & Guidelines. Reports on matters relating to patient care to the Medical Director through the Clinical Director.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Provides inpatient and outpatient consultations to patients.
- Receives referrals and consultations from other disciplines.
- Analyzes patient's medical history, medication allergies, physical condition, and examination results to verify operation's necessity and to determine best procedure.
- Provides information to patients on medical condition and surgical risk.
- Books surgery rooms and notifies support staff of surgery timings to ensure that all required personnel are prepared for the surgery or procedure
- Prescribes preoperative and postoperative treatments and procedures, such as sedatives, diets, antibiotics, and preparation/ treatment of the patient's operative area.
- Directs and coordinates activities of Nurses, Assistants, Specialists, and other medical staff
- Operates on patients to correct deformities, repair injuries, prevent and treat diseases, or improve/ restore patients' functions; utilizes clinical privileges granted to him/her for admission and treatment of patients.
- Shares the on-call schedule in the Department as required and ensures continuity of care for patients while on-call
- Refers patient to medical specialist or other practitioners when necessary.
- Considers the patient’s safety as the first priority while working.
- Includes the patients in discussions concerning appropriate diagnostic and management procedures.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care needs.
- Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care and ethical behavior.
- Participates regularly with other Surgery staff, in decision-making related to patient care
Compliance with Medical Ethics
- Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of General Surgery
- Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically and stays consistent with the obligations of a physician..
- Respects the opinions of fellow Consultants and referring Physicians in the management of patient problems; provides means whereby differences in opinion can be discussed and resolved.
- Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other Physicians while caring for the patient.
- Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by continuing medical education.
- Provides leadership for organizational performance improvement activities
- Conducts research to develop and test surgical techniques that can improve operating procedures and outcomes
- Supports in professional development of all staff and provides teaching materials
- Plans for the provision of orientation, in service and continuing education programs, along with other Consultants of the Department
- Attends regularly scheduled meeting for the improvement of patient care services and delivery
- Performs all other additional assignments as requested by the Clinical Director
| KEY CONTACTS |
- Visiting & NMH Doctors/Physicians
- Heads of Departments/Centers
- Nursing/Reception Staff
|EXTERNAL: || |
- Patients and their Relatives & Friends
- Business Representatives / Professional Agencies
- General Public
| JOB REQUIREMENTS |
|Education :||: Bachelors’ Degree in Medicine followed by specialized training in General Surgery. Membership/ Fellowship (preferably of the Royal College) and/or PhD /MD Degree in Surgery/relevant specialty. |
Licensing: Valid License from Ministry of Health-Kuwait to practice as a General Surgery Consultant
|Experience :||12 years’ experience with minimum 7 years’ experience post Fellowship/Membership or PhD /MD in General Surgery |
|OTHER SKILLS: |
Management Skills: Problem Solving, Decision Making , Counselling and Critical Thinking skills; Attention to detail and a Team Player
Soft Skills:Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills
Computer Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Internet
Language Skills: Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is an advantage
| PHYSICAL & WORKING CONDITIONS|
Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility, while also exposed to infections and close contact with the patients. May have to work long hours and be available on call to deal with medical exigencies. Occasionally involves prolonged standing/walking, lifting supplies/equipments.