|JOB SUMMARY |
The Head Nurse- Pediatrics consults with the Area Supervisor concerning administrative, professional and clinical issues, and assumes operational responsibility of the Pediatric ward and HDU (High Dependency Unit) Directs and supervises activities, interprets and implements policies/procedures and standards as per the ACI & JCIA recommendations and Ministry of Health regulations as appropriate.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Directs and supervises Nursing services personnel within the Pediatric ward in accordance with the Hospital, governmental bodies (MOH) and other regulatory standards.
- Prepares work schedules and assigns personnel. Evaluates work performance and makes recommendations.
- Conducts daily inspection of assigned patient care areas for compliance with policies, procedures, regulations, infection control and risk management standards, and takes corrective actions/ makes recommendations where violations occur in order to rectify the situation.
- Ensures that the delivery of care in the Pediatric ward and HDU is in a manner which is appropriate to the patient’s age and developmental stage.
- Ensures that there is planned, effective, day to day skill mix and staff management. Determines and reviews staffing plans and develops a scheduling system for unit and reviews regularly as staffing, skill mix and acuity change.
- Demonstrates excellent communication and team work and to ensure that communication from nursing executive is communicated to all staff. Establishes and maintain effective communication with individuals and multidisciplinary team. Treats colleagues, patients and visitors with dignity and respect at all times.
- Maintains required competencies for self and all employees within the department.
- Complete annual performance appraisal for self and employees and implement plans of correction when needed.
- Monitors patient volumes, quality of care, and performance of staff to identify areas for improvement.
- To act as a clinical role model and leader for all staff members and to ensure the provision of appropriate supervision and support to members of the team.
- Directs maintenance of departmental facilities, equipment, supplies and materials to promote efficiency, health, comfort, and safety of patients and staff.
- Ensures availability of adequate supply of consumable and non-consumable for patient care requirement, through a systematic inventory and ordering process.
- Establishes and maintains inventories of equipment and other supplies, and ensures that par levels are maintained.
- Maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients and families in accordance with Hospital standards.
- Ensures accurate maintenance of patients’ medical records and confidentiality of information contained therein.
- Prepares written documentation as required by the Nursing department, and maintains appropriate records and statistics as directed.
- Formulates departmental monthly report as directed by the Department.
- Contributes in the implementation of total Quality Management programs aimed at best practice methods within a climate of customer focus.
- Consults with Nursing Administration concerning management of assigned areas and all related matters.
- Participates in the development and implementation of departmental goals & objectives, philosophy and mission statement.
- Assists in the preparation of the fiscal budget and makes appropriate recommendation.
- Provides staff development and education programs in consultation with Area Nursing Supervisor & Clinical Instructor
- Assists in the process of selection, orientation and training, and initiates performance evaluation of Department personnel.
- Plans and conducts regular unit meetings and maintain minutes of meetings.
- Attends Nursing Management meetings and other meetings as required, and participates in committees as requested.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Nursing Supervisor.
| KEY CONTACTS |
- Visiting & NMH Doctors/Physicians
- NMH employees
|EXTERNAL: || |
- Patients and their Relatives & Friends
- General Public
| JOB REQUIREMENTS |
|Education :||Bachelor’s Degree/Diploma in Nursing preferably with Post Basic/Graduate Certificate/Diploma in Pediatric Nursing Science and/or Neonatal Nursing Care. Current CPR/BLS certification. 1st Line Management Certificate/Diploma and/or current PALS certification is an advantage. Licensing: Valid License from Ministry of Health to work as a Registered Nurse. |
|Experience :|| 7 years’ clinical experience, preferable with 5 years in Acute Pediatric Nursing facility. 3 years’ work experience as a Head/In-charge and /or 2 years in a supervisory post. Service for more than 5 years in NMH is preferred. |
|OTHER SKILLS: || Technical: Knowledge and proficiency in fundamental nursing procedures such as IV Therapy, ECG vitals, medication administration and drug calculation, proper wound management, naso-gastric tube insertion, documentation, etc. Knowledge of sterilization techniques, safety measures, good hygiene, environmental sanitation and infection control standards. Acquainted in different medical apparatus or equipment. Administrative Skills: Decision Making and Teaching skills; Self-Motivated, Flexible and Adaptable; Ability to Multi-Task, take Initiative, Assess, Organize ,Prioritize and Work under pressure without supervision . Soft Skills: Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills. Computer Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Hospital MIS Language Skills: Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is an advantage. |
| Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility, while also exposed to infections and close contact with the patients. May have to work long hours, in shifts and be available to deal with departmental exigencies Prolonged, extensive, or considerable standing/walking and moving. Occasional reaching, stooping, bending and kneeling. May experience work related pressure |