The Registrar– General Surgery co-ordinates, administers and ensures patient care activities for surgery patients are in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules & Regulations and Surgical Department Policy & Guidelines. Reports on matters relating to patient care to the Medical Director through the Clinical Director.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES|
| Operational Duties|
- Assists in surgical procedures performed in OR by both in-house and visiting surgeons according to his/her clinical privileges
- Books surgery rooms and notifies support staff of surgery timings to ensure that all required staff is available
- Attends casualty cases and gives emergency treatment, does necessary admission procedures with the Consultant’s approval and refers difficult cases to Consultants in the clinic.
- Maintains contact with visiting surgeons and arranges the admission & preparation of their patients for operation, if needed.
- Performs regular ward rounds on surgical patient and assists treating physicians during ward rounds
- Attends to any surgical problem arising in the ward
- Completes clinical notes of surgical cases and writes medical reports in consultation with the treating Consultant
- Documents patients’ progress on Progress Note Sheet and completes discharge files and statistics
- Shares the on-call schedule in the department of surgery as required.
- Considers the patient’s safety as the first priority while working.
- Includes the patients in discussions concerning appropriate diagnostic and management procedures.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care needs.
- Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care and ethical behavior.
- Participates regularly with other Surgery staff, in decision-making related to patient care
Compliance with Medical Ethics
- Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of General Surgery
- Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically and stays consistent with the obligations of a physician..
- Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other Physicians while caring for the patient.
- Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by continuing medical education.
- Initiates continuous quality improvement programs for populations served
- Attends regularly scheduled meeting for the improvement of patient care services and delivery
- Actively participates in the organization’s activities designed to attain accreditation
- Performs all other additional assignments as requested by the Clinical Director
| JOB REQUIREMENTS |
Bachelors’ Degree in Medicine followed by specialized training in General Surgery. Masters’ Degree in Surgery/relevant specialty.
|Experience :||5 years’ experience with minimum 1.5 years’ experience post Masters’ Degree in General Surgery |
|Licensing:||Valid License from Ministry of Health-Kuwait to practice as a General Surgery Registrar|
|Management Skills:||Problem Solving, Decision Making , Counselling and Critical Thinking skills; Attention to detail and a Team Player |
|Soft Skills :|| |
Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills
|Language Skills:||Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is an advantage|
|Computer Skills: ||MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Internet|
| || |
| WORKING CONDITIONS |
- Works primarily in the hospital environment such as the emergency room, inpatient surgery wards, operating room, and outpatient clinics.
- May get exposed to infections and close contact with the patients.
- Subject to unpredictable or crisis situations
- May have to work long hours, in shifts and be available on-call to deal with medical emergencies.
- Occasionally involves prolonged standing/walking.