|JOB SUMMARY |
The Consultant – Ob/Gyn. plans, directs, administers and supervises activities for gynecology patients. He/ She is responsible for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of ailments specific to the female anatomy with focus on pregnancy-related health, the female reproductive system, and women's general medical care. Delivers patient care activities in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules & Regulations and Ob/Gyn. Department Policies & Guidelines.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Diagnoses and treats problems related to female anatomy, specializing in:
- Childbirth, caesarean and other instrumental obstetric deliveries including forceps and vacuum extraction
- High Risk Pregnancies and Recurrent Miscarriages; complications like cesarean births, placenta previa or preeclampsia
- Antenatal follow up of complicated pregnancies
- Detection and management of cervical cancer.
- Treatment of urinary tract, pelvic disorders, and hormonal disorders
- Care and Management of Menopause.
- Detailed fetal anomaly ultrasound scan, dimensional scan
- Examines patients, performs and interprets diagnostic tests to obtain information on medical condition and determines diagnosis.
- Counsels patients on diet, hygiene, and preventive health care.
- Examines patients and determines x-ray examinations and clinical laboratory tests as required.
- Administers and prescribes conservative measures of treatment as antibiotics, drugs, and compresses.
- Treats and counsels women throughout their pregnancy, gives prenatal diagnoses, conducts delivery, provides recuperative period and postpartum care, including diet and medication.
- Tracks the health of, and treats, both mother and foetus as the pregnancy progresses.
- Applies surgical procedures and coordinates gynaecological & obstetrical operations including laparoscopic and infertility procedures, IVF etc., in conjunction with other consultants and anaesthesiologist.
- Deals with birth injuries and any post-operative complications.
- Directs nurses in procedures for preoperative and postoperative care; administers sedatives, prescribes diets, and prepares operative area of patients.
- Monitors patients’ condition and progress, and re-evaluates treatment as necessary.
- Explains procedures and discusses test results or prescribed treatments with patients and families.
- Refers patients to medical specialist or other practitioner when necessary.
- Considers the patient’s safety as the first priority while working.
- Includes the patients in discussions concerning appropriate diagnostic and management procedures.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care needs.
- Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care and ethical behavior.
Compliance with Medical Ethics
- Ensure implementation of the Ministry of Health regulations, the Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations and the Ob/Gyn. Department Policy and Guidelines.
- Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of gynecology.
- Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically.
- spects the opinions of department Consultants/Specialist and referring Physicians in the management of patient problems.
- Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting Specialists/ Consultants while caring for the patient.
- Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by continuing medical education.
- Responds to referrals from department specialists.
- Provides supervision to the department specialists, registrars and technicians when required.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement programs for Ob/Gyn. service
- Provides teaching materials as part of the professional development of the department staff.
- Attends the meetings of the Ob/Gyn. department to discuss the rules & regulations, obstacles in work, incidents & complications encountered and suggestions to improve the quality of service.
- Participates regularly with other Ob/Gyn. staff, in decision-making related to patient care.
- Participates in organizational performance improvement activities.
- Accepts all other additional assignments found necessary by the Clinical Director- Ob/Gyn.
| KEY CONTACTS |
- Visiting & NMH Doctors/Physicians
- Heads of Departments/Centers
|EXTERNAL: || |
- Patients and their Relatives & Friends
| JOB REQUIREMENTS |
|Education :||Bachelors’ Degree in Medicine. Membership/ Fellowship (preferably of the Royal College) and/or MD Degree in relevant specialty.Training in Gynecologic Ultrasound Scanning, Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Basic Life Support (BLS) desired. |
Licensing: Valid License from Ministry of Health-Kuwait to practice as an Ob/Gyn. Consultant
|Experience :|| 12 years’ experience with minimum 7 years’ experience post Fellowship/Membership or MD in relevant specialty. |
|OTHER SKILLS: |
Management Skills: Problem Solving, Decision Making , Counselling and Critical Thinking skills; Attention to detail and a Team Player
Soft Skills:Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills
Computer Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Internet
Language Skills: Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is an advantage
| PHYSICAL & WORKING CONDITIONS|
Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility, while also exposed to infections and close contact with the patients. May have to work long hours and be available on call to deal with medical exigencies. Occasionally involves prolonged standing/walking, lifting supplies/equipments.