|JOB SUMMARY |
The Consultant –Orthopedics is responsible to deliver highest quality orthopedic treatments and services; provides consultation for problems of the foot & ankle, joint replacement surgery, arthritis management, back & neck disorders, spinal surgeries, congenital deformities, trauma & sports medicine injuries, and pain management. Plans, directs, coordinates, administers and supervises patient care activities in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules & Regulations and Orthopedics department Policies & Guidelines.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
| Operational Duties |
- Examines, diagnoses, and treats diseases and injuries of musculoskeletal system by application of corrective mechanical devices and, surgical / conservative means.
- Prepares and reviews case histories and obtains data through interviews.
- Provides patient care, diagnoses problems, orders tests such as X-rays or MRI scans; interprets test results and evaluates examination findings.
- Provides medication to decrease the level of pain faced by the patient and ensures maximum level of functioning and independence to the patients.
- Reduces and immobilizes fractures by open or closed methods, using such corrective devices as braces, casts, and splints.
- Determines procedures for preoperative and postoperative care such as administering sedatives, prescribing diets, and preparing operative area of patients
- Formulates plans & procedures for orthopedic surgery services; schedules operations and directs Nurses/ Medical Technicians.
- Applies surgical procedures and coordinates operations with Anesthesiologist.
- Performs in-office procedures such as biopsies or injections, consults with patients' primary care doctors, and performs surgical procedures such as joint replacement, repairs bone fractures, treats back and spinal injuries.
- Directs Nurses in procedures for operating room techniques, preoperative care and postoperative care.
- Plans and coordinates specialized patient care after the surgery; ensures that the patient receives effective advice during post- surgery follow up visits.
- Maintains, manages and supervises medical records, patient charts and various surgical and Hospital records whenever required. Patient Care
- Considers the patient's safety as the first priority while working.
- Includes the patients in discussions concerning appropriate diagnostic and management procedures.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care needs.
- Works in a seamless, integrated multi-disciplinary environment to provide the highest level of care
- Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care and ethical behavior. Compliance with Medical Ethics
- Ensures implementation of Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, rules & regulations and Orthopedics Department policies & guidelines.
- Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of Orthopedics.
- Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically.
- Respects the opinions of fellow Consultants and referring Physicians in the management of patient problems; provides means whereby differences in opinion can be discussed and resolved.
- Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other physicians while caring for the patient.
- Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by Continuing Medical Education (CME). Other Duties
- Responds to referrals from Department specialists.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement programs for Orthopedics service
- Provides teaching materials as part of the professional development of the department staff.
- Attends the meetings of the Orthopedics Department to discuss the rules & regulations, obstacles in work, incidents & complications encountered and suggestions to improve the quality of service
- Participates in organizational performance improvement activities.
- Accepts all other additional assignments found necessary by the Clinical Director- Orthopedics
| JOB REQUIREMENTS |
|Education : ||Bachelors' Degree in Medicine followed by specialized training in Orthopedics. Membership/ Fellowship (preferably of the Royal College) and/or MD Degree in relevant specialty. |
|Licensing : ||Valid License from Ministry of Health- Kuwait as an Orthopedics Consultant |
|Experience : ||12 years' experience with minimum 10 years' experience post Fellowship/Membership or MD in Orthopedics |
|Other Skills |
|Technical Skills : ||Knowledge and experience in Orthopedics treatments. |
|Management Skills : || |
Analytical, Decision Making and Scientific skills; Self Discipline and Team Player
|Soft Skills : || |
Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills.
|Computer Skills : ||MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Internet |
|Language Skills: ||Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is an advantage |
| || |
| WORKING CONDITIONS |
- Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility, while also exposed to infections and close contact with the patients.
- May have to work long hours, in shifts and be available on call to deal with medical exigencies.
- Occasionally involves prolonged standing, kneeling, bending and lifting heavy objects.