|JOB SUMMARY |
The Embryologist-IVF assists patients with reproductive health issues and clinical research. Conducts research and laboratory investigation of basic science aspects of IVF treatment and other programmes of assisted reproduction. He/ She is responsible for egg retrieval, assists with In- vitro fertilization, maintains clinical records, runs tests on eggs and carries out a wide range of microbiological techniques using well-defined procedures.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Requests necessary tests for the patient to determine their fertility levels and effectively explains complex procedures / options to them.
- Maintains the viability of gametes, tissues and embryos during processing.
- Prepares sperm from Testicular Biopsies (usually performed by the clinician) and Epididymis Aspiration/TESA for the ICSI procedures.
- Conducts micromanipulation and testing of suitability of each gamete.
- Performs Embryo culture / transfer and cryopreservation; monitors embryo development, embryo selection for transfer to recipient women (guided by the clinician), and the implantation of embryos into reproductive organs.
- Conducts complex procedures like Assisted Hatching and Blastocyst Culture.
- Maintains records of all attempts, with both successes and failures documented; The records shall include:
Works well in a team environment to ensure the procedures are handled correctly and being conducted in a timely manner Evaluates and reports on the viability of new technologies introduced to the field prior to implementing them into the lab.
- Oocyte recovery
- Embryo transfer
- Pregnancy outcome
Attends to patients with genetic problems and the effect on pregnancy outcome. Interviews patients and assesses their medical genetic history and reproductive history. Gives all the counseling required to the couples.
Patient Care Considers the patient's safety as the first priority while working. Participates in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating patient care needs Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care and ethical behavior.
Compliance with Medical Ethics
Ensures implementation of Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, rules & regulations and IVF & RM and Surgery Center policies & guidelines. Complies with quality control, ethical issues, and regulations surrounding gamete and embryo handling. Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of IVF & RM and surgery. Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically. Respects the opinions of department Consultants/ Specialists and referring Physicians in the management of patient problems. Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other Consultants/ Specialists while caring for the patient. Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by continuing medical education.
Other Duties Prepares papers/reports on research findings when required. Attends the meetings of the IVF & RM and Surgery Center to discuss the rules & regulations, obstacles in work, incidents & complications encountered and suggestions to improve the quality of service. Contributes to organizational performance improvement activities, in service and continuing education programs Actively participates in the organization's activities designed to attain accreditation Accepts all other additional assignments found necessary by the Clinical Director- IVF & RM and Surgery Center.
| JOB REQUIREMENTS |
|Education : ||Bachelors' Degree in biology or biomedicine followed by Masters' Degree in reproductive science or clinical science. PhD/ MD preferred. |
|Licensing : ||Valid License from Ministry of Health- Kuwait |
|Experience : ||5 years' experience with minimum 2 years' experience in the laboratory |
|Other Skills |
|Technical Skills : ||Expert in managing laboratory, IVF & cryopreservation equipment |
|Administrative Skills : || |
Analytical, Presentation, Counseling and Scientific skills; Team Player
|Soft Skills : || |
Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills.
|Computer Skills : ||MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Internet |
|Language Skills: ||Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is preferred.. |
| || |
| WORKING CONDITIONS |
- Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility, while also exposed to infections and close contact with the patients.
- Requires to undertake prolonged analysis of specimen, spend hours isolating cultures µ-manipulating specimens and constant handling of sensitive equipment under the Clinical Director's supervision.
- May have to work long hours, in shifts and be available on call to deal with medical exigencies.
- Occasionally involves prolonged standing, bending, sitting and lifting supplies/equipment.