|JOB SUMMARY |
|The Technician- Laboratory conducts routine tests on blood, body fluids and other specimens and documents all test results accurately. Uses and maintains all Clinical Laboratory equipment properly, following established standards and practices |
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Receives labels and logs patient specimens including blood, urine, stool, other body fluids, biopsy, cytology and other specimens
- Performs laboratory tests in different laboratory sections as needed for the tests indicated and reports results
- Ensures analysis of the proper specimen and the indicated test procedure for the concerned patient.
- Responsible for centrifuging specimens to separate cells from sediment, serum or supernatant fluids
- Calculates results, records all test results in logbooks, quality control records and documents observations
- Notifies patient care unit and/or physician of all critical test values
- Performs quality control checks maintaining accurate documentation and records
- Requests and orders supplies as necessary to keep materials on hand at all times
- Manages and operates equipment safely and carefully while complying with policies and procedures regarding Department operations, fire, safety, and infection control
- Maintains required records, reports and statistics as per policy
- Handles telephone communications with courtesy, accuracy and respect for confidentiality
- Liaises with other departments, physicians and administration as appropriate, to collaborate in patient care activities
- Implements Ministry of Health rules and regulations, Accreditation Canada, Joint Commission International (JCI) standards related to his/her work area as directed
- Attends departmental committee meetings as required
- Performs all other additional assignments as requested by the Chief Technician, Clinical Pathologist and Clinical Director.
| JOB REQUIREMENTS |
|Education : ||Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology. |
|Licensing : ||Valid License from Ministry of Health-Kuwait to practice as Medical Laboratory Technologist |
|Experience : ||5 years' experience with 3 years in a hospital's Clinical Laboratory |
|Other Skills |
|Technical Skills : ||Proficiency in handling automated laboratory analyzers in chemistry, hematology, hormones, blood gas and urine strip analyzers. Knowledge of quality control methods and statistics |
|Administrative Skills : ||Manual dexterity, good Analytical Judgment and Problem Solving skills; ability to Work Under Pressure with attention to Detail; Team Player |
|Soft Skills : ||Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills |
|Computer Skills : ||MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Internet and Hospital MIS |
|Language Skills: ||Good in written and spoken English. |
| || |
| WORKING CONDITIONS |
- Works primarily in the hospital laboratory with a risk of exposure to infections, hazardous chemicals, noise, odors and fumes
- May have to work long hours, in shifts and be available on-call to deal with department emergencies.
- Occasionally involves prolonged standing/walking.