|JOB SUMMARY |
The Consultant – ENT plans, directs, coordinates, administers and supervises patient care activities for ENT patients in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules & Regulations and Surgical department Policy & Guidelines. Reports on matters relating to patient care to the Medical Director through the Clinical Director.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
- Provides inpatient and outpatient consultations to patients.
- Receives referrals and consultations from other disciplines for ENT.
- Examines, diagnoses, and treats by surgical and conservative means, disorders of the ear, nose and throat; utilizes clinical privileges granted to him/her for admission and treatment of patients.
- Administers and prescribes such conservative measures of treatment as antibiotics, drugs and compresses.
- Surgical means of treatment:
Refers patient to medical specialist or other practitioners when necessary. Works with other medical specialties to solve single or multiple medical issues or to perform extensive surgery, when required. Shares the on-call schedule in the Department as required and ensures continuity of care for patients while on-call Manages record keeping, patient charts and all required surgical and Hospital records as needed
- Provides information to patients on medical condition and surgical risk.
- Books surgery rooms and notifies support staff of surgery timings to ensure that all required staff are prepared for the surgery/ procedure
- Prescribes preoperative and postoperative treatments and procedures, such as sedatives, diets, antibiotics, and preparation/ treatment of the patient's operative area.
- Directs and coordinates activities of Nurses, Assistants, Specialists, and other medical staff
Patient Care Considers the patient's safety as the first priority while working. Includes the patients in discussions concerning appropriate diagnostic and management procedures. Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care needs. Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care and ethical behavior. Participates regularly with other ENT and Surgery staff, in decision-making related to patient care
Compliance with Medical Ethics Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of ENT Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically and stays consistent with the obligations of a physician. Respects the opinions of fellow Consultants and referring Physicians in the management of patient problems; provides means whereby differences in opinion can be discussed and resolved. Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other Physicians while caring for the patient. Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by continuing medical education.
Other Duties Provides leadership for organizational performance improvement activities Supports in professional development of all staff and provides teaching materials Plans for the provision of orientation, in service and continuing education programs, along with other Consultants of the Department Attends regularly scheduled meeting for the improvement of patient care services and delivery Performs all other additional assignments as requested by the Clinical Director
| JOB REQUIREMENTS |
|Education : ||Bachelors' Degree in Medicine followed by specialized training in ENT. Membership/ Fellowship (preferably of the Royal College) and/or PhD /MD Degree in relevant speciality. |
|Licensing : ||Valid License from Ministry of Health-Kuwait to practice as a ENT Consultant |
|Experience : ||12 years' experience with minimum 7 years' experience post Fellowship/Membership or PhD/MD in ENT. |
|Other Skills |
|Management Skills : ||Problem Solving, Decision Making , Counselling and Critical Thinking skills; Attention to detail and a Team Player |
|Soft Skills : || |
Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills.
|Computer Skills : ||MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Internet and Hospital MIS |
|Language Skills: ||Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is an advantage |
| || |
| WORKING CONDITIONS |
- Works primarily in the hospital environment such as the emergency room, inpatient surgery wards, operating room, and outpatient clinics. May be exposed to infections and patient elements
- Subject to unpredictable or crisis situations
- May have to work long hours, in shifts and be available on-call to deal with medical emergencies.
- Occasionally involves prolonged standing/walking.