|JOB SUMMARY |
The Consultant –Neurology plans, directs, administers and supervises patient care activities for patients suffering from disorders of the nervous system in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules & Regulations and Medicine Department Policy & Guidelines.
|DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
| Operational Duties |
- Diagnoses and treats organic diseases and disorders of nervous system. Treats problems of the central, autonomous, and peripheral nervous systems, including effector tissues like muscles and blood vessels.
- Orders and studies results of chemical, microscopic, biological, and bacteriological analyses of patient's blood and cerebrospinal fluid to determine nature and extent of disease or disorder.
- Identifies presence of pathological blood conditions or parasites and prescribes and administers medications and drugs.
- Orders and studies results of electroencephalograms or x rays to detect abnormalities in brain wave patterns, or indications of abnormalities in brain structure
- Analyzes records, reports, and examination information to diagnose patients' condition
- Performs examination and procedures according to the clinical privileges granted to him/her
- Prescribes or administers treatment, therapy, medication and other specialized medical care to treat diseases or conditions
- Monitors patients' conditions and progress and reevaluate treatments as necessary
- Manages record keeping, patient charts and all required patient and Hospital records as needed Patient Care
- Considers the patient's safety as the first priority while working.
- Includes the patients in discussions concerning appropriate diagnostic and management procedures.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care needs.
- Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care and ethical behavior.
- Participates regularly with other department staff, in decision-making related to patient care Compliance with Medical Ethics
- Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of Neurology.
- Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically and stays consistent with the obligations of a physician. .
- Respects the opinions of fellow Consultants and referring Physicians in the management of patient problems; provides means whereby differences in opinion can be discussed and resolved.
- Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other Physicians while caring for the patient.
- Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by continuing medical education. Other Duties
- Provides leadership and participates in organizational performance improvement activities
- Provides teaching materials as part of the professional development of the Department staff.
- Plans for the provision of orientation, in service and continuing education programs, along with other consultants of the Department
- Attends regularly scheduled meeting for the improvement of patient care services and delivery
- Accepts all other additional assignments found necessary by the Clinical Director- Internal Medicine
| JOB REQUIREMENTS |
|Education : ||Bachelors' Degree in Medicine followed by residency in a recognized Neurological program/ diagnostic procedures. Membership/ Fellowship (preferably of the Royal College) and/or MD Degree in Neurology/ Subspecialty. |
Trained in Basic Life Support (BLS) preferred
|Licensing : ||Valid License from Ministry of Health-Kuwait to practice as Neurology Consultant |
|Experience : ||12 years' experience with minimum 7 years' experience post Fellowship/Membership or MD in Neurology |
|Other Skills |
|Management Skills : || |
Problem Solving, Decision Making , Teaching, Counselling and Critical Thinking skills; Attention to detail and a Team Player
|Soft Skills : || |
Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills.
|Computer Skills : ||MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Internet and Hospital MIS |
|Language Skills: ||Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is an advantage |
| || |
| WORKING CONDITIONS |
- Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility, while also exposed to infections and close contact with the patients.
- Subject to unpredictable or crisis situations
- May have to work long hours, in shifts and be available on call to deal with medical emergencies.
- Occasionally involves prolonged standing/walking, lifting supplies/equipment.